Once Upon a time, in the little town of Tabbita (40 km west of Griffith), Grant and two of his friends stayed up all night and wrote a song called Let’s Get A Cow. The next day Grant created the Tabbita Record Company. The year was 1981 and Let’s Get A Cow became the company’s first single release.
Since then, Let’s Get A Cow has appeared on One Foot In The Bidgee (Luhrs and Crawford), You Gotta Laugh! (Grant and the Chook Raffle Band), and has been recorded by Lester Coombs, Chad Morgan, The Victorian Police Band and the Queensland Symphony Orchestra!
Grant was living in Griffith (his home town) in 1981, performing solo in a Chinese Restaurant. In 1982 he moved to Wagga Wagga, established The Flying Fox Recording Studio and teamed up with Hugh Crawford.
Many songs were written: The Longyard Hotel written by Grant won the Longyard Hotel Song Competition in 1985. Grant has been to every Tamworth Country Music Festival since then.
Luhrs and Crawford released One Foot In The Bidgee in 1987. It featured Two Old Ladies Dancing, Stealing My Heart (also recorded by Jimmy Little) and Matilda. The title track became a theme song for Wagga Wagga.
Midnight In Paradise was released through BMG in 1990. It gained Luhrs and Crawford two final five Gold Guitar nominations in 1991 and an ARIA nomination the same year.
Since 1991 Grant has pursued his solo career –
- Men Without Shoes was released in 1992.
- Festival Records released Campfire (1995). It enjoyed much success with Heart Of The Night making it to Number Six on the National Country Music Charts.
- You Gotta Laugh! (1997) was released through EMI. It featured Nude Bootscootin’ which spent a number of weeks on the charts at Number One. It became Ian McNamara’s (Australia All Over) 1997 Song Of The Year. It also took Grant and the Chook Raffle Band to the River Island Nature Retreat in February of 1998 to perform the song to 64 nude line dancers, creating the World’s First Nude Boot Scooting Record. The CD also features It’s Hard To Be A Cowboy With A Poodle By Your Side, Always Someone Bigger, and Off Like A Dog Shot In The Arse.
- Pick Of The Bunch (1999) featured the best songs off the first four albums.
- Life Aint So Bad In The Doghouse (2000) is a comedy album with the Chook Raffle Band.
- Another Story (2003) features a mixture of Grant’s songs and songs written by some of his songwriter mates.
- Songs Of The Riverina (2005) features Don’t Call Wagga Wagga Wagga, The Road to Gundagai and many of Grant’s songs written about the Riverina.
- The Best Part Of Love (2008) is a collection of love songs.
- JIM HAYNES & GRANT LUHRS PRESENT - A COLLECTION OF COMIC VERSE . From the “classics” and old favourites to modern verse; with various styles - ranging from Broad Aussie dry humour to the whimsical, satirical and irreverent humour.
Grant and the Chook Raffle Band is a featured act at many Country Music Festivals around Australia. They were invited to represent Australia at The Nanning International Folk Festival in China in 2007. Artists from 23 countries performed at the festival, the highlight being a live TV broadcast to 6 million people. They were also invited back to China in 2009 to the Zhangjiajie International Country Music Week.
Full Moon Tonight is the latest album from Grant. The title track has been featured on Ian McNamara’s Australia All Over radio show and also his Top 100 CD release. A Farming Man is also on the album - it features in Macca’s Top Ten tracks for 2013 and is also a Final Five Finalist in the 2014 Bush Laureate Awards. Grant has also been and continues to be a guest performer on Macca’s Theatre shows around Australia.
The new album also includes the song Take Me to the Backyard which features in the movie The Backyard Ashes.
Catherine Britt has a voice which instantly gets your attention… but unlike others, it is the..
ARIA and CMAA Award winner, James Blundell, returns with “Come On..
Vaughan Jones, is a highly sought after session and touring musician, playing in both Troy..
2012 saw a wonderful introduction, Cruising Country meets Simply Bushed !! What started as an out..
They believed that country music in Australia was ready for an exciting new sound and began writing..
Adam Harvey is at home in his bar with an acoustic guitar in a part of the world he likes to refer..
Shelley and husband Lawrie have established a nation-wide reputation as Australia’s premier..
Amber Lawrence is an award--winning singer--songwriter like no other, who has just been awarded the..
With multiple Australian Country Chart #1 singles, a Golden Guitar and half a decade of touring..
Pete Denahy released a comedy album in 2014 which featured songs about over use of mobile phones,..